Re: Transfering large files (was: Unison hangs on copy)

I've reordered some of your comments for my convenience in responding.

On Tuesday 26 July 2011 12:32:18 am Victor Munoz wrote:
> Thought you guys who helped me with my original question would like
> to know how this evolved.

Thank you!

> So I tried rsyncinc another file, 23 M in size (with --progress
> option), and surprise, it stops when 11% transfer is reached. Tried
> with scp, and same magic number: 11% and it stops.

I'm somewhat surprised, because when I was thinking of large files, I
was thinking of CD image size files.  (I used to transfer these over a
33 kbps modem, requiring about 65 hours per image, spread out over
(typically) 5 nights.  Oh, the good old days ;-)

I don't really have any good thoughts to offer.  I'd be looking to make
sure that no temporary storage areas have been filled (presumably /tmp
on either machine), in fact, I'd probably do a df for all partitions on
both machines and make sure all of them have plenty of space (a nice
big multiple of 23 MB--I don't really know how much storage rsync, or
scp need, but I'm just "grasping at straws" looking for possibilities.

While rsync may do some thinking (i.e., pause) during a 23 MB file
transfer, I don't think scp would, but there still might be something
that is timing out.

All from me is just random speculation, however.  Good luck--I hope
someone else will have some better suggestions for you.

Randy Kramer