Transfering large files (was: Unison hangs on copy)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:07:58PM -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> Today, I lost the ability to synchronize between two machines, one had
> lenny until today morning, and the other was sid. I was using
> apt-pinning to keep both unison versions compatible.

I few days ago I posted a problem with unison, which appeared after a
particular update I did. Someone suggested it could be a problem with
large files, and I said no, no large files involved. Ok, I should I
was wrong.

Both replicas are very large, and the few listed changes showed no
large files, or so I thought. But it turns out I was wrong, and a 20M
file was involved. I deleted the cache file, and reconstructed the
mirror, and I finally discovered that unison hangs when this
particular large files is involved. There are other large (and larger,
4 times larger, for instance) files in the replicas, but they are
identical, and unison doesn't complain. Only with this file, which
differs.

So I tried rsyncinc another file, 23 M in size (with --progress
option), and surprise, it stops when 11% transfer is reached. Tried
with scp, and same magic number: 11% and it stops.

So now I think I have a problem with transfering large files. Somehow
the upgrade caused this, because almost all previous transfers
involved that 20M file, but now I am unable to copy this and other
large files between both machines.

I'm also losing my connection to the remote machine as I type this
mail, so I have some kind of issue with the connection, and I really
hope it is the the reason, and not the size of the files itself.
Thought you guys who helped me with my original question would like to
know how this evolved.

Regards,

Victor