Re: limiting email sizes when sending files

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 15:28 +0200, lee wrote:
> Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:
<snip>
> What is more efficient when people have to spend the extra time to
> figure out how to up- and download and how to solve security issues
> involved with transferring the files via http or ftp?  Are you going to
> explain to them how to do it, and are you going to set up the software
> they might need for it on their computers and show them how to use it?
> Are you going to convince them when they're telling you that it's way
> to complicated?
<snip>
> For example, what do you do when you're asked by people you don't know
> to send them pictures you took?  You set up a web server or give them
> ftp access and spend hours to explain to them how they can get their
> pictures?  Seriously?  Probably not --- you simply ask them for their
> email address and send the pictures by email.  Or /you/ would tell them
> that they can't get the pictures because you don't want to abuse emails
> and everything else is too complicated ...
<snip>

If it is of any help, we are just about finished with an enhancement to
the mailscanner and zendto projects where mailscanner can be optionally
configured to detect emails larger than a given size, send the
attachments to ZendTo (a dropbox like server) and rewrite the email to
contain a link to pick up the files.  This allows end users to use their
address books and makes sending large files no different from sending
any attachment without overwhelming email systems or risking having the
mail rejected by one of the MTAs along the path.  It can also be
configured to use HTTPS only to provide secure pickups.

The company I work for is offering this as a service now and, if you
don't mind waiting, will be contributing this back to the community
soon.