Re: limiting email sizes when sending files

Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> lee wrote:
>> what's there in Debian to mail files in parts with each part limited to
>> a given maximum size?  I need a commandline tool to do this --- metamail
>> doesn't seem to exist anymore.
>
> It would be far better to host files somewhere and send a link or
> links to the hosted files.

No, it won't.

> Today we have far too many people sending large file attachments, the
> greater the megapixels of cameras the worse it'll get.  And with
> faster Internet connections, we'll see people sending whole movies via
> email if they can.

What's the point of having good internet connections when you can't use
them?  Making your files publicly available by uploading them somewhere
or by setting up your own web server may not be what you want.

What's going to happen when you send URLs instead of files?  The
recipients may switch to their web browser /if/ they are sufficiently
interested and look at the files.  I usually don't do that; when someone
wants to tell or to show me something, they should put it right into the
email so that's easy for me to see.  Then they might want to save the
files, which might involve downloading them again, thus doubling the
amount of data that needs to be transferred.  Or they don't save them
and download them again and again each time they need the files (like
look at your pictures), thus multiplying the amount of data that needs
to be transferred.

At some time, you eventually don't run the web server anymore or don't
have the files accessible anymore and the recipients can't see them
anymore if they didn't save them.  This can be an advantage if you want
it to be that way, and it's a disadvantage when you don't.  Why make it
so complicated?  It's totally pointless.

> Limiting the problem, a little, is mailbox quota sizes.

Which problem?  Tight quota limits suck and make an email account
unusable.

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855