Re: limiting email sizes when sending files

Hi,

lee wrote:
what's there in Debian to mail files in parts with each part limited to
a given maximum size?  I need a commandline tool to do this --- metamail
doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It would be far better to host files somewhere and send a link or links to the hosted files.

Today we have far too many people sending large file attachments, the greater the megapixels of cameras the worse it'll get. And with faster Internet connections, we'll see people sending whole movies via email if they can.

Limiting the problem, a little, is mailbox quota sizes. Way too many people ignore this issue.

So many "fun" attachments can be found online, once found online, a simple link can be sent in an email..... that is the way to go for those general, funny videos.

The other thing that many people don't seem to understand, is that sending a large binary file as an attachment requires the attachment to be encoded back to printable characters -- this can increase the payload of an email by 50%.

Do you get the idea that I think sending large attachments are a bad idea(tm) ?????? It sure is a bad idea!

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM