Re: 6rd vs. interfaces(5)

[…]

 >>> Unfortunately, 6rd is only available for Linux 2.6.33 and later
 >>> (as per Wikipedia), which isn't in Squeeze.

[…]

 >> you can install 2.6.38 from squeeze-backports[1], works perfectly.

 >> [1]http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/

 > Or, if you already have a home network with more than one computer
 > (if you're interested in IPv6, I'll bet that description fits you)
 > I'd recommend to invest a small amount of money (<US$200) in a small
 > computer (like an OpenRD or one of the "plug" machines from Marvel,
 > or an ALIX board from PC-Engines.

	Well, I've taken a mini-ITX case and an Intel Atom 330-based
	board as the basis, and assembled such a system almost two years
	ago.  In addition to the router (with NetFlow-based
	summarization of the passing traffic), it hosts DNS (with
	DNSSEC), SMTP, HTTP, and Rsync servers, and an HTTP caching
	proxy.

	It's currently somewhat undermaintained, but otherwise works
	correctly.

 > If you don't care about energy usage,

	Actually, I do care: these systems are on a UPS, and lower power
	consumption means better “survival rate” during the blackouts of
	a few to 20 minutes long.

 > an even cheaper alternative is to reuse an obsolete PC -- I'll bet
 > you've got one of them in your garage waiting to be recycled.)

	(That's not a garage, that's my living room.)

	Well, I've found that those oldy K6-based systems are comparable
	to Intel Atom-based ones when it comes to overall power
	consumption.  (I guess that they provide less performance per
	unit of electric power, though.)

 > Make that your IPv6 gateway -- run Debian testing on it.  Having a
 > separate single-purpose gateway router has the advantage that you can
 > experiment with things like firewalls and new drivers without
 > endangering the rest of your machines.

	Actually, I guess that experiments with connectivity can give
	much more trouble than experiments with, say, one's own /home,
	as they could readily anger the other “interested parties.”

	Thus, I'd prefer running a Debian “stable” system on a router.

--
FSF associate member #7257