Re: Backup Software

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:08:48 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Encryption at software level adds an extra layer of incompatiblity I
>>> prefer to avoid for backups.
>>
>> What is incompatible about creating an archive with tar and then
>> encrypting it with gpg?
>
> Nothing... unless you have to extract the backup files on Windows, MacOS,
> another non-linux system

Are you saying that when I encrypt a file with gpg on one computer, it's
impossible to decrypt it on another one?

> or simply in a computer that has not installed the required program to
> cope with GPG for decrypting.

Gpg is one of the basic programs that should be installed.  If it isn't,
it doesn't hurt to install it.  You can say the same for tar or file
systems ...

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855