Re: Backup Software

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:37:34 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What is incompatible about creating an archive with tar and then
>>> encrypting it with gpg?
>>
>> Nothing... unless you have to extract the backup files on Windows,
>> MacOS, another non-linux system
>
> Are you saying that when I encrypt a file with gpg on one computer, it's
> impossible to decrypt it on another one?

You can if you have the proper software installed. My Windows boxes do
not have GPG/PGP installed by default, for instance.

>> or simply in a computer that has not installed the required program to
>> cope with GPG for decrypting.
>
> Gpg is one of the basic programs that should be installed.

On what OSes? :-)

> If it isn't, it doesn't hurt to install it.

Yes, but for backup files I prefer to do not add an extra layer of
complexity that can lead to not be able to view the files. Backup files
need to be reliable.

> You can say the same for tar or file systems ...

Nope, PeaZip is a very good piece of software ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón