Re: pppoeconf can't find new Verizon DSL modem

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 04:28:25PM +0530, Mahesh T Pai wrote:
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>

>  > Maybe you only need to set the new modem with the same parameters (local
>  > IP address -or dhcp- settings, username/pass, etc...) of the old one.
> >
>  > Also, review "pppoeconf" logs.
>
> That configures the "modem" as a router.

I don't want to configure the modem as a router.  The man page for
pppoeconf says it is just a user friendly program to set up pppoe.

My problem is that pppoeconf cannot find the access accumulator (the dsl
modem).  The ppp-connect-errors log is full of "Waiting for PADQ packet"
lines.

I have studied the DSL-HOWTO (dated?) and the pppoe man page and am not
much wiser.

For the present the old modem is working fine and I must wait until
Monday when the rest of the family is at work so I am free to bring the
system down and experiment with the new modem.