pppoeconf can't find new Verizon DSL modem

We subscribed to Verizon DSL ten years ago.  Overall the service has
been as advertised, 3 Mbps.

All last week we had major problems - system freezes and system down for
times ranging from half an hour to several hours.  Tech support finally
conceded the problem was outside our house.  Apparently this was
corrected as this Wednesday performance returned to normal.

Yesterday a Verizon technician came to the house and confirmed a good
connection at the wall outlet dedicated to the dsl modem.

He also brought a new Verizon dsl modem noting that the ten year old
modem from the original installation was slowly failing.  He proceeded
to configure it from his laptop and set the user name and password.  I
now realize it was a mistake to let him do this.  We have a dedicated
firewall computer between the dsl modem and our lan.  pppoeconf run from
the firewall computer finds (found) the access accumulator and allows us
to set the user name and password.  When the new modem is put in place
of the ten year old modem this does not work even when the new modem is
reset to the factory defaults.  Fortunately everything still works with
the old modem an since the external problems have been fixed it seems
steady as a rock.

Still it may be true that the old modem is gradually failing so it seems
prudent to replace it but not if pppoeconf cannot find the new modem.

Any thoughts?