Re: Unison hangs on copy

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:11:40PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> This makes me think that there is a NAT router or other device that is
> sometimes losing the virtual circuit between the machines.  Starting a
> new connection works but the old connection is sometimes idled out?
> Usually people run into that problem with idle connections and need to
> set up a diddle to keep the connection alive.  But you are using it so
> it doesn't quite match but I am mentioning it anyway.
>
> You might check your router hardware.  You might run a ping in another
> window and seeing if you are seeing any packet loss.  If you found a
> high packet loss between the systems then that would point to the
> hardware between them.

Mm... not obviouss this is the case. I have a ping to the router
simultaneously with the unison attempt, and while unison is waiting to
copy files, ping keeps responding, no packet loss.

It might be something with the router. Now, I guess ping and unison
use different ports. Would it make sense? (I undertand unison uses
rsync, or a version of it, to synchronize files, and rsync works, so
I'd think that copying files with unison should work too, if it were a
port problem...)

Victor