Re: Setting up FTP server with specific username and password

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:19:15 +0100
Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> On 20/07/11 13:22, Dejan Ribič wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to set up a FTP server, with specific username and
> > password, because i have a router backup set up, to backup every
> > hour now on Windows 7 I have FTP Server set-up like this:
> > username: jadjada
> > password: supersecret
> > (btw: the user/pass above are made up, and should be used just as an
> > example)
> > Now I'd ilke the same set-up on my debian squeeze, and if possible
> > the upload folder to be /home/pijanc/tomato.
> > pijanc is my username on debian.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dejan
> >

> Hijacking another thread will make it difficult for others to notice
> and reply to you.
>
> There are a range of ftp server packages in Debian you can use.  I
> don't use one myself, so can't provide any specific recommendation.
> However...
>
> ...Start Aptitude, and then search for the virtual package
> ftp-server. This lists a range of packages.  Check each one's
> description and follow links to related web sites and see if that
> helps you choose.

I would recommend vsftpd.  It's fast, secure, supports encryption, and
has a very simple (option=value) configuration file format.

First off, you would need to add a user 'jadjada' with password
'supersecret' to your debian system.

Next, by default each user sees the entire filesystem when they are
in the FTP client - they just start in their home directory.  They only
run into a wall when they try to enter a directory they are not allowed
to traverse or when they try to read to/write to a file they do not have
permissions to do so.

However, if you want only a small portion of the filesystem to be
visible to the user, you are able to put certain users in a chroot
jail.  What this means is that the end user sees a certain folder (such
as /home/pijanc/tomato) as the root / of the filesystem.  So what a
user in FTP sees as /foo/bar is actually /home/pijanc/tomato/foo/bar.

This is a good way to go for anonymous users or for users whom you don't
completely trust.  However, if it's just you or somebody you know
personally it's overkill as long as you haven't done anything
completely stupid with file permissions.

Going back to vsftpd- its configuration file is /etc/vsftpd.conf .  The
version installed by debian is loaded with comments and some basic
values that should make a sane default installation and easy editing of
some basic parameters.  If you need anything more complex, just ask or
google.  The manpage (to see type 'man vsftpd.conf') is a pretty good
reference for individual commands if you are unsure of what a
particular line in the configuration file does.

This is as I understand it; however, I am NOT a guru and if I have
included any misconceptions or false information in here I hope someone
else will correct me :D

--
rbmj