Re: udev rules for 2 identical webcams + 1 spare cam

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:29:49 -0400
shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI,
> jonnor.com/2010/08/determining-physical-topology-of-hotplugged-usb-devices-with-udev/
>
> Ie, figure out your physical setup and write a script. If programming isn't
> your thing, you could probably get this done with sed / awk or maybe even
> grep. Though this sounds harder to me than writing a simple perl script.

Jumping in a little late here, hopefully I'm not repeating.

Have you tried :

  sudo udevadm info --name=$1 --attribute-walk

where name would be the device path.

I've noticed that almost all USB devices have a serial number of some sort, i.e. ATTRS{serial} which should be unique.

Brian