Re: Iceweasel crashes with Illegal Instruction error message

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:42:08 -0700, Tech Geek wrote:

>> Are you sure you don't have flash player or java or any other plugin/
>> extension installed? They can be located in many places. Run:
>>
>> locate libflashplayer.so

> Running the above commands returns nothing.

That was the Adobe Flash player plugin file that needs to be manually
pulled.

> I am sure I have not installed any plugin, extension, add-on, etc.
> after installing iceweasel. In fact, after doing a netinstall selecting
> "Standard Utilities" from the tasksel menu, I did the following:
>
> # apt-get ssh install gnome-core iceweasel gdm xserver-xorg
>
> and I can reproduce the issue.

There are more plugins installed by default, look at "/usr/lib/mozilla/
plugins/". In addition, unless you explicitely told apt to do not install
suggested packages, you also got "gnome-desktop-environment".

>> Before filling a bug report and given that Iceweasel can be run in safe
>> mode I would keep searching what file is making noise.

> Any more ideas anyone?

Yes, you can rename your user's Iceweasel profile and try to launch it
again...

If it still crashes, the problem is located elsewhere, system wide. In
this case, you can try by updating your Icewasel to the latest version
which is available in Debian's Mozilla repo.

If it works, something at the user's profile could have been hosed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón