Re: Iceweasel crashes with Illegal Instruction error message

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:21:12 -0700, Tech Geek wrote:

> This happen on a fresh installed Debian 6.0.2 with 2.6.32-5-486 kernel.
> Running Icewesel web browser:
> # iceweasel
> crashes as soon as the brower loads with the error message "Illegal
> Instruction"
>
> Running Iceweasel with the following two commands works fine and I no
> longer see the crash:
> $ iceweasel -safe-mode
> $ MOZILLA_DISABLE_PLUGINS=1 iceweasel
>
> Based on the file /usr/share/bug/iceweasel/presubj it says to look into
> extensions installed if Iceweasel does not crashes with the above two
> commands. The problem is that I have not installed any Iceweasel
> plugins, extension and add-ons.

Are you sure you don't have flash player or java or any other plugin/
extension installed? They can be located in many places. Run:

locate libflashplayer.so

> I wanted to run the gdb trace as explained in the bug file so that I can
> file a bug report, but not sure if I should investigate more before I
> file a bug report.
>
> What should I do?

Before filling a bug report and given that Iceweasel can be run in safe
mode I would keep searching what file is making noise.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón