Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

On 7/11/2011 3:55 PM, Chris Davies wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>> You're obviously new to the world of running an email server and spam
>> fighting
> About 20 years experience in a professional environment, with about 5
> or so running an MTA at home (may be longer; I can't remember). Does
> that count as "new"? I don't think so.

If you don't grasp the concepts I've been speaking of, and you don't
grasp the depth of the bot spam problem, then yes, from a spam fighting
or mail operations standpoint, you are definitely "new".

> To be fair, I have realised in re-reading my post that I had mistakenly
> edited out the "I have a static IP address and proper rDNS" statement
> I had originally written.

If you're unable to differentiate your setup and that of the classic
consumer/"home" broadband host, then there's no point continuing this
conversation really.  This situation seems something like this analogy:

I'm 6'4" and about 185.  Someone calls me "fat ass" and I take offense.
 Doesn't make sense does it since I'm not remotely fat.  You took
offense to the term "home" user, but to a receiving MTA your host looks
nothing like a "home" broadband host.

> On the basis of that new information I'd still appreciate knowing whether
> you still stand by your sweeping statement about disallowing all "home"
> users, or whether you'd modify it at all.

Please re-read my posts.  This isn't about 'class warfare'.  It's about
blocking bot spam.  "Home user" broadband connected PCs just happen to
make up the vast bulk of bot infected machines.