Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

On 09/07/11 18:15, lee wrote:
> Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:
>
>> Can rDNS lookups for different IPs return the same result such as
>> "mail.example.com" or must each IP have it's own unique PTR record
>> name?
>
> Apparently they can, though I don't like the idea. For outgoing email,
> you need to make sure that the hostname given in [E]HLO statements and
> the IP address of the host connecting to a remote MTA always match when
> the remote MTA resolves either.  You may send me some test mails to
> check.

My mail server is behind a NAT gateway in IPv4, and directly connects in
IPv6. What shoud I configure it for HELO : the name of the NAT gateway
(for IPv4) or its own name (IPv6 only from outside) ?

This kind of check is useless and makes loose too many legit emails.