Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

On 7/11/2011 2:22 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> But, the blocking of xDSL mail servers that are properly set up just
> because they aren't going through an ISP is a horrible abuse of the
> Internet.

They're not properly setup if they have a dynamic IP address, and most
xDSL customers get a dynamic IP.  Given that 95% of all email is spam,
and 90% of that is from bot infected PCs on consumer xDSL/cable lines,
would you have the world stop summarily blocking the hundreds of
millions of dynamic IP hosts simply to let the few thousand Linux weenie
servers on dynamic IPs send mail without being molested?  Are you kidding?

If any of you 'combatants' in this thread had every run a non trivial
sized mail operation, you'd change your tune on this subject in very
short order, after trying to deal effectively with a few hundred
thousand connections/day from bots attempting push spam into your users'
mailboxen.

--
Stan