Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

Hi,

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 7/11/2011 2:22 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
They're not properly setup if they have a dynamic IP address, and most
xDSL customers get a dynamic IP.  Given that 95% of all email is spam,
and 90% of that is from bot infected PCs on consumer xDSL/cable lines,
would you have the world stop summarily blocking the hundreds of
millions of dynamic IP hosts simply to let the few thousand Linux weenie
servers on dynamic IPs send mail without being molested?  Are you kidding?

I don't think anyone should be running a mail server on an actual dynamic IP address. If you IP address is statically assigned and you have the appropriate rDNS record, then you should be fine.

The bigger problem is improperly licensed PCs and also those whom don't update their software adequately -- and the latter isn't a trivial task for many. This is magnified by those whom download all sorts of malware that comes as a "bonus" with other possibly useful software downloads. Illegal downloads via torrent also contributes to this problem.

If everyone could understand how to practice safe computing and they also put it in good practice, then we would be a whole lot better off.

Unfortunately, there are too many users whom really cannot deal with even some of the more basic things relating to computers, let alone make a reasonable call on something a little more complicated. There's been talk before about "licensing" users, but I won't get into that. Perhaps another minefield would be to "license" email accounts on a new replacement email system that has better mechanisms to stop spam by being better designed, but that would smack way too much of big brother -- every legitimate email address gets registered ... it would also be a great big nightmare in itself and take a very long time to implement, even if it was possible and/or reasonable to do so.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan