Re: grub2 help needed

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:53:40 -0400, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 03:10:01 Juan R. de Silva said:
>
> I don't know what you're using there Juan, but this combination of
> packages works flawlessly at present and displays a vociferous ability
> to find bootable partitions and drives if you're using a pc bios.
>
> grub-common 1.99-8
> grub-pc  1.99-8
> grub-pc-bin 1.99-8
> grub2-common 1.99-8
> grub-rescue-pc 1.99-8
>
> I include grub-rescue-pc because after the install if you go to:
>
> /usr/lib/grub-rescue/

I've used GRUB within Squeeze environment. The version is 1.98.
Apparently this makes the difference.

> there are three useful images there.  I like the .iso one myself and
> made a CD for when those dist-upgrades go badly.
>
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGDDevCamporells

To interfere from outside a system I commonly used either SystemRescueCD
or one of available LiveCD-s, or UltimateBootCD.

This time I intentionally wanted to use GRUB from the running system. You
see, I'm in process of creating multidistro configuration on my desktop
and trying to find the easiest way to maintain the new setting. The idea
was to run update-grub only in my main system, that is Squeeze now,
whenever any of other systems get kernel upgraded.

Well, I have two choices now. I can handle it the way it is, i.e. mount
all system roots before running update-grub until Squeeze GRUB gets
upgraded to v.1.99, or I can switch to chainload them using /dev/sdaX
notation.

Thus I even not tried to boot from any rescue CD-s.  This is how I run
into the bug that made me to question my understanding of new to me GRUB2.

Well, I do not complain, since I wanted finally to get my hands dirty
with GRUB2 and this was an excellent opportunity.

And BTW, since I installed AMD64 OS (or it might be my brand new hardware
that makes it problematic I'm not sure here), using any of LiveCD-s
proved to be a problem on its own. I've tried Debian and several of
Ubuntu LiveCD-s and neither of them was capable to boot to a Live
environment. The only one that did it, was Ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD.

Thus your link proves to be very useful. I'll definitely add this to my
toolkit. Thank you for this.