Debian Policy questions

Listers, looking for a little community input:

What is the best way to get answers on Debian policy questions? I have had some
issues I'd like to get a policy answer on or possibly provide input (aka, my
$0.02) for.

If you're curious, the issue I've been having is regarding package
dependencies. Some packages seem to have extraneous dependencies outside of
what is strictly required (package build tools will tell you what is strictly
required). Packages being depended on are e.g. dbus, gconf, etc.

Even with equivs I can't always manage to install packages without getting the
dependency because of things like preinst/postinst scripts. I submit bug reports
(sev.  wishlist) for the dependency to be on the appropriate _library_ only but
get no response.

Thanks for your help!

--
Liam