Re: Debian Policy questions

On 12/07/11 04:57, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 07/11/11 at 11:52am, Camale�n wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:43:45 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
>>
>>> Listers, looking for a little community input:
>>>
>>> What is the best way to get answers on Debian policy questions? I have
>>> had some issues I'd like to get a policy answer on or possibly provide
>>> input (aka, my $0.02) for.

Debian policy mailing list

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

>> would ask in debian devels or packagers mailing list to get some feedback
>> there.
>
> I think it should be a policy issue.. as I described in another email,
> shouldn't we be enforcing that 'depends'

Bingo!  ^^^

> is only required for running, and
> packages for additional features should be recommends|suggests? Thanks for the
> suggestion though.. I've been considering joining more lists, perhaps I will
> lurk a while and test the waters.

Enforcing is the key word. Don't like the chances though - it might
impinge on the core policy of not requiring maintainers to do what they
don't want, more likely enforceable under terms of acceptability (if
that makes sense). Should be possible though, as "recommends" *was* a
problem prior to Squeeze becoming stable - I remember some IIRC threads
about it then, doesn't seem that I've kept my copies. (possibly the
debian policy list).

Cheers

--
What did moths bump into before the electric light bulb was invented?
Boy, the lightbulb really screwed the moth up didn't it? Are there moths