Re: Debian Policy questions

On 07/11/11 at 11:52am, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:43:45 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
>
> > Listers, looking for a little community input:
> >
> > What is the best way to get answers on Debian policy questions? I have
> > had some issues I'd like to get a policy answer on or possibly provide
> > input (aka, my $0.02) for.
> >
> > If you're curious, the issue I've been having is regarding package
> > dependencies. Some packages seem to have extraneous dependencies outside
> > of what is strictly required (package build tools will tell you what is
> > strictly required). Packages being depended on are e.g. dbus, gconf,
> > etc.
>
> (...)
>
> Package dependencies does not seem -a priory- to be Policy issue... I
> would ask in debian devels or packagers mailing list to get some feedback
> there.

I think it should be a policy issue.. as I described in another email,
shouldn't we be enforcing that 'depends' is only required for running, and
packages for additional features should be recommends|suggests? Thanks for the
suggestion though.. I've been considering joining more lists, perhaps I will
lurk a while and test the waters.

--
Liam