Re: mplayer and fvwm-crystal

On 07/06/11 at 12:03pm, lee wrote:
> William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 07/04/11 at 10:45pm, lee wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> what might be the reason for mplayer to come up without window
> >> decorations on fvwm-crystal?
> >
> > mplayer is a command-line tool. If you wish to control it primarily via GUI,
> > use gmplayer or kmplayer, which is an mplayer wrapper application.
>
> Its window always had decorations when running it with KDE.  I don't
> need the GUI to control mplayer because I'm using the keyboard to do
> that.  It's inconvenient not being able to move the mplayer window
> because it doesn't have decorations.

Most window managers accept alt-rightclick for resizes, and alt-leftclick for
moves (I am only suggesting as an interim solution)

> So either there's some setting of fvwm-crystal that turns off the
> decorations and which I couldn't find, or the default for mplayer is to
> create a window that doesn't have decorations (if that is something the
> application creating the window can decide).

Check your .fvwm2rc for an mplayer entry, or the system-wide config file at
/etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc

> Are you suggesting that the default for mplayers windows is not to have
> decorations?

I haven't run a 'decorations-setting' WM in years, sorry. My recollection has
always been of mplayer without them.

--
Liam