Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

--- On Fri, 7/1/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you enable sudo during the install?

I had this functionality working a while ago (I use it only occasionally), but then it stopped working. Maybe it was a security update that killed it or perhaps something else. Something has changed. I remember there was a way to access "Run as a different user" functionality from the Alt+F2 feature (when you click on the "wrench") but now it seems to have gone.

> *By default Squeeze KDE has a "hidden" konqueror as root
> menu entry....*
> did you try that? :-)

I enabled hidden items, saved the menu editor settings and even restarted KDE. Still the Kickoff Launcher doesn't show "File Manager - Super User Mode" item for me to run, so I can't run it. But the Launcher does show Konqueror-2 entry that I had a while back and then deleted. Where it still gets Konqueror-2 from I'm not sure.

> If that fails to produce a password prompt please post the
> output of:-
> $ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

# ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 54720 Jul 20  2010 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

> Assumption: you're running Squeeze (from uname -r)??

# uname -a
Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12
03:40:32 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks