Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

On 02/07/11 14:20, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Did you enable sudo during the install?
>
> I had this functionality working a while ago (I use it only
> occasionally), but then it stopped working. Maybe it was a security
> update that killed it or perhaps something else. Something has
> changed.

Indeed... :-/

> I remember there was a way to access "Run as a different
> user" functionality from the Alt+F2 feature (when you click on the
> "wrench") but now it seems to have gone.

??

>> *By default Squeeze KDE has a "hidden" konqueror as root menu
>> entry....* did you try that? :-)
>
> I enabled hidden items, saved the menu editor settings and even
> restarted KDE.

What you have described is not sufficient to enable a hidden menu entry.
See my next comment.

> Still the Kickoff Launcher doesn't show "File Manager
> - Super User Mode" item for me to run, so I can't run it.

It is unclear to me that you followed all the steps I outlined, please
confirm that you did the following. *Pay particular attention to step 2.*
Excerpt from my previous instructions, refer to them for context:-
1. In the left-hand pane expand "System" and then expand "More
Applications" - *for the "File Manager - Superuser mode" entry*:-
2. Untick "Hidden entry"
3. Then Click on "Save" and close the Menu Editor

> But the
> Launcher does show Konqueror-2 entry that I had a while back and then
> deleted. Where it still gets Konqueror-2 from I'm not sure.

>From the new (copied) menu entry you created?

That you can't see "File Manager Superuser mode" tends to suggest it's
still configured to be hidden....

>> If that fails to produce a password prompt please post the output
>> of:- $ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
>
> # ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 54720
> Jul 20  2010 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

So it's there.

NOTE: for future reference - a command line suggestion prefaced by $
means run as user, # means run as root.
Eg. I asked for the output of:-
$ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

You ran that command as root - *doesn't matter in this case*, but it's a
good idea to only run commands as root *when no other way is possible* ;-)

eg.:-
scott@work:~$ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 47548 Jul 21  2010 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

Gives the same information without the risks.

>> Assumption: you're running Squeeze (from uname -r)??
>
> # uname -a Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 03:40:32
> UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Is that yes??

> Thanks

Please post the entire, unmodified /etc/apt/sources.list

Also the output, if any, of:-
$ dpkg --get-selections sudo

Cheers

--
“How come people always flip and think they're Jesus?
Why not Buddha?