Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

On 02/07/11 14:20, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Did you enable sudo during the install?
> I had this functionality working a while ago (I use it only
> occasionally), but then it stopped working. Maybe it was a security
> update that killed it or perhaps something else. Something has
> changed.

Indeed... :-/

> I remember there was a way to access "Run as a different
> user" functionality from the Alt+F2 feature (when you click on the
> "wrench") but now it seems to have gone.

>> *By default Squeeze KDE has a "hidden" konqueror as root menu
>> entry....* did you try that? :-)
> I enabled hidden items, saved the menu editor settings and even
> restarted KDE.

What you have described is not sufficient to enable a hidden menu entry.
See my next comment.

> Still the Kickoff Launcher doesn't show "File Manager
> - Super User Mode" item for me to run, so I can't run it.

It is unclear to me that you followed all the steps I outlined, please
confirm that you did the following. *Pay particular attention to step 2.*
Excerpt from my previous instructions, refer to them for context:-
1. In the left-hand pane expand "System" and then expand "More
Applications" - *for the "File Manager - Superuser mode" entry*:-
2. Untick "Hidden entry"
3. Then Click on "Save" and close the Menu Editor

> But the
> Launcher does show Konqueror-2 entry that I had a while back and then
> deleted. Where it still gets Konqueror-2 from I'm not sure.

>From the new (copied) menu entry you created?

That you can't see "File Manager Superuser mode" tends to suggest it's
still configured to be hidden....

>> If that fails to produce a password prompt please post the output
>> of:- $ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
> # ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 54720
> Jul 20  2010 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

So it's there.

NOTE: for future reference - a command line suggestion prefaced by $
means run as user, # means run as root.
Eg. I asked for the output of:-
$ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

You ran that command as root - *doesn't matter in this case*, but it's a
good idea to only run commands as root *when no other way is possible* ;-)

scott@work:~$ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 47548 Jul 21  2010 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

Gives the same information without the risks.
>> Assumption: you're running Squeeze (from uname -r)??
> # uname -a Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 03:40:32
> UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Is that yes??

> Thanks

Please post the entire, unmodified /etc/apt/sources.list

Also the output, if any, of:-
$ dpkg --get-selections sudo

“How come people always flip and think they're Jesus?
Why not Buddha?
Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus.
'Ah'm BUDDHA!'
'You're Bubba!'
'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' ”
~ Bill Hicks