Re: OpenOffice vs LibreOffice Questions

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:55:22PM +0200, Steven wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 13:26 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
[cut]

> > 3. What makes LibreOffice better than OpenOffice?
>
> It is supposed to be faster, has more bugs fixed, and so on. It also
> appears to me much more active in development than OpenOffice.
>

> > These questions are not intended to start a flame war! I have never even
> > looked at LibreOffice, as I did not need to. Now I'm concerned that a
> > large body of work covering several years will have to be 'ported' to a
> > new format & that I will have to learn a lot of new stuff.
>
> I wouldn't worry to much about that, LibreOffice is effectively a fork
> of OpenOffice.org, both go their separate ways from that point on, but
> much will remain the same at first, such as the format in which
> documents are saved. The user interface has changed a bit, but not
> dramatically, I doubt it you'll see the difference at first, some
> dialogs have changed a bit, but most people seem to agree that is for
> the better. In my experience (I run Debian testing with LibreOffice) you
> can see LibreOffice as a major upgrade of OpenOffice itself.

I believe the OpenOffice.org to LibreOffice change is similar to what
happened a few years back with XFree86 to Xorg. Both are roughly similar
products and perform the same function - as far as a user is concerned,
there should be no real difference - but the product being switched to
has a better developer community so changes can be introduced quicker
(newer features, more stability fixes etc).

This is the beauty of open source. :)

--
Paul Saunders