Re: OpenOffice vs LibreOffice Questions

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:26:39 -0500
John W Foster <jfoster81747@verizon.net> wrote:

> 1. Why is Debian switching to LibreOffice, per the posting I saw a few
> days ago?
> 2. Is OpenOffice still going to be supported?
> 3. What makes LibreOffice better than OpenOffice?
>
> These questions are not intended to start a flame war! I have never
> even looked at LibreOffice, as I did not need to. Now I'm concerned
> that a large body of work covering several years will have to be
> 'ported' to a new format & that I will have to learn a lot of new
> stuff. Any rational comments are appreciated.

From Wiki:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

"On 28 September 2010, several members of the OpenOffice.org project
formed a new group called "The Document Foundation". The Document
Foundation created LibreOffice from their former project, over concerns
that Oracle Corporation would either discontinue OpenOffice.org, or
place restrictions on it as an open-source project, as it had
OpenSolaris.

"It was originally hoped that the LibreOffice name would be provisional,
as Oracle was invited to become a member of The Document Foundation.
Oracle rejected offers to donate the OpenOffice.org brand to the
project and demanded that all members of the OpenOffice.org
Community Council involved with The Document Foundation step down from
the OOo community council, citing a conflict of interest.

"The Go-oo project was discontinued in favour of LibreOffice.
Improvements made by the project are being merged into LibreOffice.
Improvements made in other forks are also expected to be incorporated
into LibreOffice. Other improvements being made is the use of
Java is being reduced to reduce any possible security issue and to
improve application stability.

"As a result of the fork of OpenOffice.org into LibreOffice, and the
resulting loss of developers, Oracle announced in April 2011 that it
was terminating the commercial development of OpenOffice.org."

--
Joe