OpenOffice vs LibreOffice Questions

1. Why is Debian switching to LibreOffice, per the posting I saw a few
days ago?
2. Is OpenOffice still going to be supported?
3. What makes LibreOffice better than OpenOffice?

These questions are not intended to start a flame war! I have never even
looked at LibreOffice, as I did not need to. Now I'm concerned that a
large body of work covering several years will have to be 'ported' to a
new format & that I will have to learn a lot of new stuff.
Any rational comments are appreciated.
Thanks!
Frosty