Fw: console screen

Hi,

After upgrading to squeeze and Grub2 my old line:
# defoptions=vga=791
in the menu.lst file is no longer relevant and I am supposed to do something with the /etc/default/grub file. In there it states:

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

If I set this at 1280x1024, which I know my server supports, will that roughly give me what I had?

In the meantime after re-reading the post at http://harrison3001.blogspot.com/2009/09/grub-2-graphical-boot-tips-to-set.html it seems that GRUB_GFXMODE line is only for the grub menu itself and NOT for the console screen after that.

Is there a better solution in Squeeze 6.0.2, which we have reached by now, or do I indeed need to modify the /etc/grub.d/00_header file? The instructions in the article above show a different set of lines in the original 00_header file then what I have overhere.

------<article quote>-------------
set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE} <-- FIND THIS LINE
(as you note GRUB_GFXMODE is the variable we set before through /etc/default/grub)
set gfxpayload=keep <-- THIS IS FOR THE VGA CONSOLE!
(as you note the statement keep, obviously, keeps, what?, the resolution we set before through GRUB_GFXMODE variable set into /etc/default/grub)
insmod gfxterm
insmod ${GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND}
------<end quote>-------------

------<00_header quote>-------------
if loadfont `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root "${GRUB_FONT_PATH}"` ; then
 set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
 load_video
 insmod gfxterm
fi
------<end quote>-------------

As you can see in Squeeze 6.0.2. there is an extra load_video line before the insmod gfxterm. It seems the VIDEO_BACKEND lines are moved to that procedure. However, that GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND just seems to appear out of the blue, it is not listed in the default /etc/default/grub, nor does it get set anywhere within the /etc/grub.d/00_header file. I suppose I one wants to use that one simply "knows" what to do and the set it in the proper script file.

Should the end result be something like this
------<00_header.new quote>-------------
if loadfont `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root "${GRUB_FONT_PATH}"` ; then
 set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
 set gfxpayload=keep
 load_video
 insmod gfxterm
fi
for what I want, to have a console with more and longer lines?

As I have no test servers nearby I need to know what I am doing before I start modifying things. :-(

p.s. Anybody know if the grub2 team is working on this, to have a "generic" way, maybe via the /etc/default/grub file , to set the console resolution?

Bonno Bloksma