Re: weird - rsync get removed from system. presumably after last update?

On 30/06/11 11:11, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> I know it sound crazy, stupid but it happened and I must ask for help.
>
> I use rsync for backup run by cron daily. I've been using it since fresh
> install back in April, and since things worked as expected I stopped
> watching it closely.
>
> Today I discovered suddenly, cron log showing last backup failed with
> error code 127. I run my script manually and get the same. `which rsync`
> returned nothing. Then I opened Symantec and to my astonishment found
> that rsync is present but is not installed (?!!!).
>
> Well, to insure I'm not getting crazy (:->) I get to my backups and found
> all of them in place nicely logged by rsync up to 2 days ago.
>
> I'm not a Linux guru. But I'm not a complete novice either. I've been
> using several distros for over 4 years for now and never experienced any
> thing similar.
>
> The only thing comes to my mind now is, exactly couple of days ago I get
> a massive update notification (something over 90 packages) by Update
> Manager. When I tried to Update Manager, it hanged up for ever. After
> several attempts and even a reboot I realized Update Manager get broken
> for some reason. I restarted in restore mode and completed update from
> there. Things looked well after that.
>
> Now I do not know what to think. May all described suggest my system was
> compromised by a stranger "update"?  Has anybody ever experienced
> anything similar?
>
> Any suggestion/opinion would be highly appreciated.

I run rsync on headless web and mail servers as well as desktops. None
of them lost rsync (none of them run Symantec).

90 packages!
Do your have "everything" installed? ;-p

None of mine/ours received that many packages in the last point release.
Perhaps you had not been regularly upgrading prior to the 6.0.2 release?

Do you mean just "rsync", the daemon, or some sort of gui for it?

Have you tried re-installing rsync using apt? Any interesting messages?

Please post the output of:-
$ dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall

and your cron log plus any relevant messages in /var/log
Also check your system for unread system mail.

Cheers

--
"This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of
the loop.