weird - rsync get removed from system. presumably after last update?

I know it sound crazy, stupid but it happened and I must ask for help.

I use rsync for backup run by cron daily. I've been using it since fresh
install back in April, and since things worked as expected I stopped
watching it closely.

Today I discovered suddenly, cron log showing last backup failed with
error code 127. I run my script manually and get the same. `which rsync`
returned nothing. Then I opened Symantec and to my astonishment found
that rsync is present but is not installed (?!!!).

Well, to insure I'm not getting crazy (:->) I get to my backups and found
all of them in place nicely logged by rsync up to 2 days ago.

I'm not a Linux guru. But I'm not a complete novice either. I've been
using several distros for over 4 years for now and never experienced any
thing similar.

The only thing comes to my mind now is, exactly couple of days ago I get
a massive update notification (something over 90 packages) by Update
Manager. When I tried to Update Manager, it hanged up for ever. After
several attempts and even a reboot I realized Update Manager get broken
for some reason. I restarted in restore mode and completed update from
there. Things looked well after that.

Now I do not know what to think. May all described suggest my system was
compromised by a stranger "update"?  Has anybody ever experienced
anything similar?

Any suggestion/opinion would be highly appreciated.