Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are your sure?
>>
>> Yes, for the great majority of users.
>
> Ah, that's explains all. But I'd say a great percentage of Debian users
> do not search for what majority of users seek.

I'd include the majority of Debian users too in my statement.

Changing the files in "/etc/grub.d/" (1) changes the order of your
grub menu entries (for example, by renumbering the files), (2) changes
the text displayed in those entries (by editing the naming parts of
the scripts; for example getting rid of the superfluous "GNU/Linux"in
the menu entries), (3) adds custom menu entries (like the guy who
added runlevels 3-5 earlier in this thread).

"/etc/default/grub" controls the options of the "linux" line, the
default entry, the menu timeout, the screen resolution, the creation
of "recovery" or "os-prober" entries, and the fonts and graphics (if
you have/want them).

>>> test@debian:~$ ls -l /etc/grub*
>>> test@debian:~$ ls -l /boot/grub/
>>
>> You can edit the files in "/etc/grub.d/" - or rename them or add to them
>> - but the canonical way of changing grub settings is through
>> "/etc/default/grub".
>
> Yep, but not all the available options are available from there, or so
> says the docs.

Which options?

>> I used to edit 10_linux, 30_os-prober, and "/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig" in
>> order to customize grub2 to my liking but I've given up.
>
> You see? There will be ocassions where the user have to jump from "/etc/
> default/grub" to /etc/grub.d and find out what file in there to modify.
> With GRUB legacy there were only 1 or 2 files, less error prone, IMO.

See above regarding the use of "/etc/grub.d/".

Again, for the majority of users, in grub1 you edit
"/boot/grub/menu.lst" and in grub2 you edit "/etc/default/grub". The
latter's more logical from a design perspective. When I first used
Debian, I thought "what's all this rubbish in "menu.lst"? Having the
options governing a section of a file included in that file is nicely
recursive but pretty weird. Furthermore, having active options
preceded by one "#" and comments by two "##" in the automagic kernel
section is smart but just as weird.

>>> And that was what I asked for, but I'm still waiting to see an official
>>> statement for whatever decision they take. I can deal with either, but
>>> I would like to be prepared for the worst ;-)
>>
>> It'll come if it isn't already out. The grub1/grub2 developers are
>> probably keeping grub1 around to ease the Lenny-Squeeze transition but
>> they're going to say at some point that they no longer want to maintain
>> grub1.
>
> It is still available for install, just the installer does not present
> the option.

If I were the grub maintainer, my first step in dropping grub1 in
Debian would be to make it unavailable from d-i...