Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:27:18 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> For grub2, there's also just one file to tweak, "/etc/default/grub",
>>> and the CLI tools are more powerful.
>>
>> Are your sure?
>
> Yes, for the great majority of users.

Ah, that's explains all. But I'd say a great percentage of Debian users
do not search for what majority of users seek.

>> test@debian:~$ ls -l /etc/grub*
>> test@debian:~$ ls -l /boot/grub/
>
> You can edit the files in "/etc/grub.d/" - or rename them or add to them
> - but the canonical way of changing grub settings is through
> "/etc/default/grub".

Yep, but not all the available options are available from there, or so
says the docs.

> I used to edit 10_linux, 30_os-prober, and "/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig" in
> order to customize grub2 to my liking but I've given up.

You see? There will be ocassions where the user have to jump from "/etc/
default/grub" to /etc/grub.d and find out what file in there to modify.
With GRUB legacy there were only 1 or 2 files, less error prone, IMO.

> And forget about the files in "/boot/grub/". "grub.cfg" is the only one
> that you might want to edit (if you do, I'd keep edit a copy stored
> elsewhere and copy it to "/boot/grub/" after editing it) but it's not
> worth the trouble. You're better off using "/etc/boot/40_custom" or
> "/etc/boot/09_cameleon" if you need/want custom entries.

I still have to carefully read the GRUB 2 manual from GRUB's site. GRUB
is a piece of code that uses to be very customized by distributions but
in the end, upstream commands.

>> So let's say I want to disallow GRUB2 from including my Windows
>> partition at the menu... should I tweak /etc/default/grub or should I
>> dive into /etc/grub.d/os-prober, or...?
>
> That's one disappointment that I have with grub2. You can disable
> os-prober in "/etc/grub/default" but you can't have it run on some
> partitions and not others (for example if you want to add another Linux
> install but not add a Windows install). I think that this is an edge
> case because most people who have Windows installed will want it in the
> grub menu. There's however one case that I'm surprised doesn't come up
> more often: WinVista and Win7 have "recovery partitions" that are
> recognized and added to the grub menu and the only way to remove them
> (AFAIK) is to edit "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober"...

That's the downside of automatisms, they work for all or for none. But
maybe this feature of a selective os-prober can be added later :-?

>>> If I were a betting man, I'd bet that grub1 won't be available in
>>> Wheezy once it's published...
>>
>> And that was what I asked for, but I'm still waiting to see an official
>> statement for whatever decision they take. I can deal with either, but
>> I would like to be prepared for the worst ;-)
>
> It'll come if it isn't already out. The grub1/grub2 developers are
> probably keeping grub1 around to ease the Lenny-Squeeze transition but
> they're going to say at some point that they no longer want to maintain
> grub1.

It is still available for install, just the installer does not present
the option.

> It's dead upstream and the recent patches have been to keep it
> up-to-date with Debian changes like the kernel's "zz*" scripts;
> *understandably!*.

Sigh... I can understand the decision of ditching GRUB legacy because of
a practical POV (lack of resources, manpower, etc...) but it wouldn't
surpise me to see it as the default option in other distributions.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón