Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Sat 25 Jun 2011 at 19:14:06 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:30:50 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > On Sat 25 Jun 2011 at 19:34:27 +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > With Linux you have complete control - so you can alter any file you
> > wish. However, it is not usual (and maybe ill-advised) to change
> > 00_header, 10_linux, 20_linux_xen or 30_os-prober. 40_custom is
> > completely under your control (there is an example in this thread) and
> > 05_debian_theme could be customised.
>
> Sure, but that's no what I understand for "with GRUB2 there is only one
> file to tweak", there are many and we (as admins) have to learn about
> them ;-)

Tom H is fundamentally correct with his 'one file' view. There is quite
a lot which can be done with /etc/default/grub if desired. Kernel
options, a GRUB background and font, whether the menu is displayed or
not and for how long it is displayed - etc.

Anything more special and you move on to 40_custom. For example, booting
from an iso file (those that are especially to provide the facility) can
be done there. It also is useful if sub-menus are wanted. Neither is in
GRUB Legacy, Of course, if these and other possibilities are of no use
to a user they can work with /etc/default/grub or not, as they want.

Files in /boot/grub are mainly binary. Nothing to do there. grub.cfg is
an easy target though!

I do have a 05_debian_theme which differs a little from the one provided
by Debian but I'd not go out of my way to change it drastically in other
ways.