Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:18:27 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 17:47:44 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> That would be fine... if there was such a public statement. This is the
>> first time I read that a legacy piece of software is out just because
>> of its age because it still receives bugfixes.
>
> Will this do (The GRUB Development section)?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Nope, that's a GRUB's statement not a Debian's one :-)

There are many packages that are not being "actively" developed but still
maintained upstream (how about "Unison"?) like GRUB legacy is.

Anyway...

"GRUB Legacy is no longer being developed. For the differences between
GRUB Legacy and GRUB, see the current status on the wiki and the Grub
Legacy Documentation."

http://grub.enbug.org/CurrentStatus

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX; wget http://grub.enbug.org/CurrentStatus
--2011-06-24 21:08:55--  http://grub.enbug.org/CurrentStatus
Resolving grub.enbug.org... 211.14.6.124
Connecting to grub.enbug.org|211.14.6.124|:80... failed: Connection
refused.

¿?

>> It can fit some use cases but I'm afraid it leaves others out...
>
> The technical considerations involved in constructing the installer
> outweigh any perceived inconvenience to a user is one way of looking at
> it. There are far more winners than losers.

Nice speech, but I prefer to see the real numbers that support
it >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón