Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:37:04 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 15:18:08 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> No? Then why removing it from the installer? :-?
>
> There is no further upstream development of it. Debian will not maintain
> it. It's dead. So GRUB2 became a release goal for Squeeze.

That would be fine... if there was such a public statement. This is the
first time I read that a legacy piece of software is out just because of
its age because it still receives bugfixes.

>> But I like Debian precisely for those things that make it unique, like
>> giving users as many options as it can, not removing them without a
>> strong and meditated reason ;-)
>
> Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze gives the choice of keeping an existing
> GRUB or converting to GRUB2. With a new install it's GRUB2 only. But the
> choice to go for GRUB legacy exists afterwards, which seems reasonable
> to me.

It can fit some use cases but I'm afraid it leaves others out...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón