Re: posting

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:

> If I would receive all mailing lists NOT as digest it would be 800 mails
> a day. I can filter as soon as I receive mails, but if I just don't
> retrieve mails for one day, I get issues with too many mails on my
> providers server.

Then either have your provider fix that, or change to another provider
or run your own mail server.

> Now I pushed group reply, deleted the quotes, deleted the subject,
> copied the needed text and pasted it as quotation and copied and pasted
> the subject.

You are either replying to the wrong post, or you are quoting from the
wrong post:

,----
| OA > (  126) [Ralf Mardorf           ] 'Re: posting
| :R    +-> (  164) [Scott Ferguson         ] '
| :R    | \-> (   49) [Eduardo M KALINOWSKI   ] '
| :R    +-> (  146) [-> debian-user@lists.de] '
| :R    | \-> (  369) [Cal Leeming [Simplicity] '
| :R    \-> (   78) [Andrei POPESCU         ] '
| :R      \-> (   33) <-> debian-user@lists.de> '
| :R.       \-> (   53) <Ralf Mardorf           > '
`----

What you have quoted is from the message that has 146 lines. Your reply
is to another message, the one with 33 lines. (Yours, the one this one
is a reply to, is the last one in the above list, with 53 lines.)

Since I'm too lazy to check the references manually, I'll trust that
gnus displays threads right and assume your threading might be broken
again.

I think this might very clearly show some of the points we're trying to
make.

> Why are there spaces add between the '>'-signs and the text?
[...]
> Why is Debian digest pre-formatted this way? Just to disable that users
> can reply to the list? Why?

You could ask about the added spaces and ask other formatting questions
at the address given in the List-Help: header:
<debian-user-request@lists.debian.org>. I would support the idea that it
would be useful if the digest was designed in such a way as to make it
easy to extract all the separate messages from it to then process them
as usual with a MUA.

> Don't blame me! Blame the way Debian digest is formatted. It's neither
> my, nor Evolutions fault, when the digest is bad formatted.

Isn't it you who didn't remove the spaces at least when necessary? If
you were subscribed to the mailing list rather than to the digest,
Evolution might just get it right automatically.