Re: Wrestling with Dell Precision laptop. You too? Discuss tips & experience

>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

I have no improvement on the touchpad config to report, but have found
a way to dependably reboot the system and also to suspend and resume
the system,but from RAM and disk.

After upgrading to the Debian sid kernel, I noticed some changes,
suspend intermittently worked.  I'm told that drivers are flaky, so
that explains the unpredictable response.

Adding "noapic" to the kernel boot command seems to be a magic bullet
with this version of the kernel,

2.6.39-2-amd64

In grub.cfg, it looks like this

  linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2-amd64
root=UUID=5aa5cbbd-18ce-4978-b171-886ae7ae6cd3 ro  noapic

And these versions of related programs:

nvidia-glx                               270.41.19-1
TrueCrypt                              7.0a

In case you are new to grub 2, they don't want you to edit
/boot/grub/grub.cfg, since that will be erased by kernel updates.
Instead, edit /etc/default/grub and change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noapic"

In case you are keeping track of the changes, I have found with the
newer kernel that the option "reboot=bios" is not beneficial by
itself, the system still locks up when you try to restart and suspend
does not work.  Inserting "noapic" fixes problems, no matter the
reboot option.

If suspend does not work for you, I would urge you to remove any
driver or modules you have customized and see if the problem is
solved. Add them back one at a time to find the enemy.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science