Re: Wrestling with Dell Precision laptop. You too? Discuss tips & experience

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have one of these new-ish Dell laptops, maybe we can help each other.
>
> I've got a new Dell Precision M4600 laptop.
>
> 3. Wakeup from Suspend to RAM does not work.

Hi,

I have an update on this Dell Precision laptop.  I "accidentally" left
the Debian sid repository active when apt-get ran :)

The kernel updated to 2.6.39 and the laptop DOES suspend and resume.
I had to remove the reboot=bios option from the kernel command line
before this success was experienced.

I still have intermittent trouble.

1. Sometimes, suspend fails to shut down the network devices and the
laptop resumes immediately.  Manually disabling the networking devices
seems to help.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend:
Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.

2. Often the laptop still refuses to turn itself off.  After I try a
command like "/sbin/shutdown -h now" or the menu shutdown options, I
see the black screen messages that halt at "Shutting Down".   Whereas
"reboot=bios" did solve that in previous kernels, it does not help
now, and it seems to get in the way of suspend/resume.

Still no success on getting the full functionality of the touchpad,
but you can stop the system from seeing it as a mouse, which helps in
some ways to prevent the mouse-like interpretation of touchpad
behaviors.  Here's the link on howto

"Recognize ALPS Touchpad on Dell E6510 in Ubuntu"
https://confluence.nau.edu/confluence/display/~cmg238@nau.edu/Recognize+ALPS+Touchpad+on+Dell+E6510+in+Ubuntu

This does not enable scroll for me, but it does protect the touchpad
from mouse harassment.

$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DualPoint Stick                           id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad          id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_FHD              id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device              id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                          id=15   [slave  keyboard (3)]
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science