Re: Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:27:44 -0700, Bill wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS built-in
> modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the modem for a backup
> on those rare occasions when POTS is all there is, but I would like to
> have it configured.

Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)

> After a night on Google, I discover that the Linuxant module is
> essentially marketing bait for a commercial upgrade. So no way to that.
> I'm not a purist exactly, but I only have 5 non-free packages on the
> system. One more won't matter but I intend to stick with free software
> as far as possible.

Linuxant provides a free (but limited) version of the drivers, maybe
that's fine for your requirements.

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php

> ScanModem reveals three potential chipsets but I believe I have a
> Conexant HD Audio Modem. I've installed the sl-modem-daemon without
> success.
>
> Any pointers?

It seems that you modem should work with that package, so I would try to
get it working:

http://us.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Modem_(MDC-3.0,_56kbps_HDA)
http://us.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Conexant_HSF_modem_drivers

Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)