Re: posting

On 23/06/11 18:14, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 17:39 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 23/06/11 17:02, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

<snipped>

>> Is all that ^ annoying? To me it looks like someone printed out a
>> post, put it through a washing machine, then had it typed out by a
>> drunk on a popo-stick! ;-p
>>
>> Not only is it reformatted, re-wrapped, and re-indented - the
>> Subject has been appended to, breaking the thread.
>
> Re: posting Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1198
>
> instead of
>
> Re: posting
>
> is breaking the thread?

It no longer is part of the thread in threaded view with Icedove (or
Thunderbird).
*Likewise, in the online version (see "In-reply-to"):-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/06/msg01837.html*

>> Maybe it works for you in Evolution Ralf - but for me in Icedove
>> you've just made a(nother) complelling argument for NOT replying to
>> Digest messages.
>
> For Evolution it usually isn't reformatted, of cause sometimes I get
> neverending lines when I reply, but this also happens for non-digest
> replies.

It's reformatting in my mail client, and in the html version eg.:-
Before
After

> And yes, sometimes mails are bad reformatted for Evolution too, but
> this also isn't related to digest replies.
>
>> While in your opinion ("IMO") "it should be for replies too" - the
>> fact that it *doesn't work* should be a good reason not to do so.
>> My 2c.
>
> I can filter emails for my client, but not for the provider's
> server. I don't want to receive 800 mails a day, so I prefer digest.

I can trivially filter individual messages using the filters in my email
client or at the email server (gmail) - filtering the content of a
digest edition requires me to write scripts that parse the digest.

>> Both HTML and spam being sent to list is a filtering issue -
>> nothing to do with the Digest version (red herring).
>
> The Debian list does cause most of the Spams I get.

Sure. But I fail to see the connection between spam received as a result
of publishing your email address on-line, and whether you receive the
standard, individual messages.

>> Also. How someone can forget to copy the Subject line - when, if
>> replying to normal (not Digest) messages - it's not necessary.
>
> It doesn't happen that often and usually for this list. If standards
> are that important, GNU mailman would be the better choice to avoid
> issues.
>
> Debian isn't fine with Firefox and Thunderbird, hence they change
> some things, add bugs and call it Iceweasel and Icedove.

That's an opinion not shared by the developer (or I).

> Debian isn't fine with GNU mailmen, hence they use another format for
> the mailing list.

I did not know that. Out of curiosity I searched but couldn't quickly
find any information about this.
What "isn't fine" about GNU mailman" ??

The vast majority of posters don't "seem" to have a problem with the
current mail server. The only complaints I've seen in the archives are
from people who want to "munge" there email addresses, and other such
stupidity as "receive only" subscriptions. I say stupid because it's
just recalcitrant laziness to demand from the list what free email
accounts already provide.

> And now replying to digest is unwanted? What is digest for? For
> reading only? There's an archive, that can be used for reading only.

"unwanted". I have not said that, nor has anyone else. What is unwanted
is useless, or mangled Subjects, badly reformatted posts etc. The form
in which the poster receives the original should have no bearing on the
matter.

Let me restate my position for clarity:- whether a reply from gmane,
nginx forums, gmail, mailx, and http://lists.debian.org/debian-user, or,
*any* email client - it is possible to send useful, properly formatted
posts. Ditto for replying to posts. I've yet to hear a reasonable excuse
for doing otherwise.
I use cut and paste from the online list
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ what you call the archives) to
post from gmail when away from my computers, without problem.

> Mozilla isn't origin Linux software.

apropos of what? :-)
The online version of the offending messages renders the same in
Konqueror, Iceweasel, Firefox, lynx and Chrome.

> I'm using Evolution, it's still
> more buggy than Mozillas are, I can't change this OTOH did you test
> if the reformatted mails are ok when viewing them by Thunderbird
> instead of Icedove?

Tested in Icedove, gmail, Thunderbird, Kmail, and online at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user - they still look like something the
dog coughed up. :-(

> At least my Iceweasel isn't working that good as Firefox does on
> other Linux installs.

Surely that's a separate issue?

> I planed to read more and to write less, at the moment I reply very
> often, but I won't switch between digest and "normal" when the amount
> of my replies is higher or lower.
>
> -- Ralf

Cheers

--
And I'll tell you something, too, that's starting to annoy me about
UFOs: the fact that they cross galaxies or universes to visit us, and