Re: [SOLVED ... so far ...] k9copy 2.3.7 crashes, howto debug?

On Wednesday 22 June 2011 09:08:43 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:31:38 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > On one of my computers k9copy 2.3.7 crashes right in the beginning (so
> > did 2.3.5 and 2.3.6).
>
> What kind of crash? Segfault? No.
write(2, "ASSERT failure in QList<T>::at: "..., 101ASSERT failure in
QList<T>::at: "index out of range", file /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qlist.h, line
456
But that has nothing to do with the reason. It is only complaining that there
is no debug information. I don't even have /usr/include/qt4.

> > Unfortunately the debug information is not
> > significant enough to file a bug report. Package k9copy-dbg does not
> > exist. I don't know if it has to do with the CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4
> > CPU 3.00GHz or with the DVD-RW unit being SATA.
> > On all of my other computers with single core CPU and PATA drives k9copy
> > works fine.
> >
> > Can somebody give me some directions how to start debugging the issue,
> > please? I understand that k9copy is just a wrapper for vamps and a
> > pletora of other programs.
> >
> > Google shows lots of "k9copy" and "crash" - but mostly on Ubuntu and the
> > articles are old. Also they seem to be void of any hint or workaround.
> >
> >From what source did you get that package? Upstream project, d-m?
debian-multimedia
> >I would
> > start by contacting either of them.
I tired contacting upstream earlier but got no answer. Most probably because I
was not able to supply a meaningful bug report.
Anyway: I tried strace to see at least with which file k9copy fails. Lo and
behold - it was with /home/username/.kde/share/config/K9Copy
(mind the capital letters).
I always tried to delete ../apps/k9copyrc and that didn't change a thing. No
wonder, that file does not seem to be used for ages.
So I deleted ../config/K9Copy and k9copy worked again.
Now I don't know why nor in what way K9Copy was corrupted. As a text file it
seemed to be OK.
With the huge amount of libraries and programs which k9copy loads I see that I
won't have time to install all the sources and start a debug session.
I'll switch back to "user-mode" and be happy with k9copy doing what it's
supposed to do now.

I learned one thing: making a 'program'-dbg package is a lot of work and many
thanks go to everybody who ever supplied any to Debian.

> Greetings,

Thank you for your consideration and greetings.
Eike