k9copy 2.3.7 crashes, howto debug?

Hi:

On one of my computers k9copy 2.3.7 crashes right in the beginning (so did
2.3.5 and 2.3.6). Unfortunately the debug information is not significant
enough to file a bug report. Package k9copy-dbg does not exist.
I don't know if it has to do with the CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
or with the DVD-RW unit being SATA.
On all of my other computers with single core CPU and PATA drives k9copy works
fine.

Can somebody give me some directions how to start debugging the issue, please?
I understand that k9copy is just a wrapper for vamps and a pletora of other
programs.

Google shows lots of "k9copy" and "crash" - but mostly on Ubuntu and the
articles are old. Also they seem to be void of any hint or workaround.

Thank you folks
Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE