Re: Question about the new kernel with PAE (Wheezy) - Report

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:22:48 +0100, Dom wrote:

> On 21/06/11 17:33, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:16:02 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

(...)

>>> Aptitude was nice to me.
>>
>> Yep, I also think so. But I wondered how "apt-get dist-upgrade" would
>> handle this sitution. I bet that it will report something similar to
>> aptitude... heck, I'm tempted to get the "I-know-it-won't-work"
>> suggested kernel update to see what happens O:-)
>
> I'll find that out what apt does tomorrow when I try to upgrade my main
> laptop which doesn't have pae support, and will report the results.

I'll give you some tips as I couldn't retain my self and performed the
dist-upgrade :-)

> I'm not too worried, as I know it won't remove the old kernel and I can
> reboot into that one and install the 486 version when it fails.
>
> Oddly, I installed the 486 version on a couple of identical 586 machines
> today. It worked fine on one and failed to boot on the other. I'm not
> planning to investigate those, though, as I build a custom targeted
> kernel for those low-spec machines.

Well, if you agree with the update, the pae kernel installs despite it
warns about it will not work (and when you boot with it, it fails as
expected). You can still boot with the old kernel (good job!).

So in the end you need to manually remove the pae kernel and install the
486, as Gilbert suggested.

I still think this should have been automagically done by the upgrade.
Why proceed with installing something that will not work and even set it
as the default boot option >:-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón