Re: Question about the new kernel with PAE (Wheezy) - Report

On 2011-06-21 19:52 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> Well, if you agree with the update, the pae kernel installs despite it
> warns about it will not work (and when you boot with it, it fails as
> expected). You can still boot with the old kernel (good job!).
>
> So in the end you need to manually remove the pae kernel and install the
> 486, as Gilbert suggested.
>
> I still think this should have been automagically done by the upgrade.

I guess it's a bit difficult, since the package management cannot know
that the kernel will not work with your CPU.  The alternative of
downgrading to the -486 kernel for all former -686 users is not very
attractive either, since that means losing SMP support.  This will
certainly be mentioned in the Wheezy release notes eventually.

> Why proceed with installing something that will not work and even set it
> as the default boot option >:-P

The installation has actually failed, leaving the -686-pae kernel
unconfigured, has it not?  I think there is a problem with the
upgrade-grub script that generates menu entries for all kernels, whether
they work or not.

Sven