Re: Question about the new kernel with PAE (Wheezy)

On 06/21/2011 10:59 AM, Camaleón wrote:
But now the day has come and I've got two questions:

1. Will the PAE kernel work on this VM? I guess no.

2. Shouldn't the dist-upgrade routine had to automatically determine the
best kernel for this system? Or at least provide some kind of warning? I
think a 486 kernel would be a more sensitive choice.

Any commnents?

Hi, Camaleón!

My spare sub-notebook (Panasonic CF-R3) shows

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 13
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.10GHz
stepping	: 6
cpu MHz		: 1100.000
cache size	: 2048 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe bts est tm2
bogomips	: 2194.59
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

Since this is my spare notebook, and I can mess it up if I want to, I decided to go ahead and give the kernel upgrade a shot. As expected, I got a message from aptitude about the kernel not being supported by the processor on this system. The message suggested installing the 486 kernel and removing the newly obsoleted 686 kernel.

For the heck of it, I went ahead and installed it anyway, but the new kernel was listed as not configured. I decided to be a good boy, install the 486 kernel, and remove the new (unconfigured PAE version) and old 686 kernels. All is well.

Aptitude was nice to me. And that's what happens if you try to install the inappropriate kernel on a physical machine. I imagine it'll work the same way on a VM, but my imagination is sometimes not very bright!

;-)

Best regards,
Gilbert