Re: After fresh install to stable now KMail crashes

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:08:58 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 20/06/11 16:45, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:12:14 +0100, AG wrote:
>>

>>> Taking prior advice on avoiding the apparently high degree of
>>> volatility in the current testing, at least as far as my experience
>>> has been so far,
>>>
>> The opposite applies for me. Testing has been very stable, despite its
>> name.
>>

> Hey Camaleón
>
> That has definitely *not* been my experience given the number of issues
> I've come to this list about and that is after a completely fresh
> installation.  It was reaching the point that I had begun to dread
> logging out for fear of what I would find broken/ missing/ frozen the
> next time I logged on.  Hence the re-install to squeeze ... and guess
> what?  Yet another problem!

Maybe you need to re-think your layout.

Since years I've been told that mixing environments (I mean, the two big
ones, GNOME and KDE) and their applications was not a problem. I've never
agreed with that possition and always tried to keep these two as separate
as possible to avoid problems.

Nowadays, GNOME and KDE are both needing from specific applications to be
launched and I find that -specially KDE- is starting (since KDE 4.x) to
make (ab)use of db backends for almost anything, for running your system
session and also applications.

In brief, I'm sure most of the users running a pure KDE environment do
not face all that problems. Well, yes, but that's another question and we
should add a new variable... KDE 4.6 is more stable than KDE 4.4, that's
another well-known fact ;-)

So calm down and go resolving your crashes with a high dose of patience.
But don't give up! "Patience is a virtue".

>> KDE SC (at least starting from 4.6) will be highly dependant on akonadi
>> and nepomuk so I would first ensure both services are properly
>> configured and running, just in case...
>>

> Any suggestions on how to do this, because so far - touch wood - this is
> the only issue I've come across, but then again, the system has only
> been running a couple of hours so there is still time.

That depends... are you running Kmail from a KDE session or are you in
GNOME or...? Most of the KDE settings (like Akonadi/Nepomuk setup) are
configured from "User Settings" or whatever it is named now :-), so I
would start from that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón