Re: trouble booting a copied lenny root partition.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:16:56 +0200, bruno wrote:

> On 19/06/2011 11:05, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Is lenny's grub incapable of booting from a LVM on RAID parition? I
>> just copied my / partition (which was /dev/hda3) to a larger partition
>> that's managed by LVM, modified the copied /etc/fstab and the original
>> partition's /boot/grub/menu.lst, and when I tried booting from the new
>> partition, got
>>
>> waiting for root file system.
>>
>> Just what is it doing when it is waiting for the root file system?
>>
>> By the way, aptitude tells me
>>
>> i     grub                               0.97-47len 0.97-47len
>>

>> -- hendrik
>>

>  From what I understood, you need grub2 to boot on LVM+RAID device.
>
> Bruno

To what extend does the /boot have to match the / ? Cab I use the /boot
within the / for the old system to boot the / for the new system? As long
as I take care to keep it updated with enough extra kernels and stuff?

Or, more plausibly, would it be enough for /boot to be outside LVM on
RAID?  Or does all of / have to be there?

-- hendrik