trouble booting a copied lenny root partition.

Is lenny's grub incapable of booting from a LVM on RAID parition?
I just copied my / partition (which was /dev/hda3) to a larger partition
that's managed by LVM, modified the copied /etc/fstab and the original
partition's /boot/grub/menu.lst, and when I tried booting from the new
partition, got

waiting for root file system.

Just what is it doing when it is waiting for the root file system?

By the way, aptitude tells me

i     grub                               0.97-47len 0.97-47len

-- hendrik